About Marilyn Soghomonian – Therapeutic Counsellor & Hypnotherapist in Reading, Berkshire
BA (Hons), BACP, DHP, MAPHP(Accred), MNCH, GHR(Reg), NLP(Master Prac)
In order to help you make an informed decision about choosing to work with me as your therapist, it might be helpful to get to know a little bit about my background, experience and training. Through the benefits I’ve gained over the years from my own personal development work, I know the value that one-to-one therapy can have for my clients. I believe my varied training, broad professional and personal experience allow me to be more effective in working with you as your counsellor, psychotherapist and/or hypnotherapist.
My indepth training has given me a particularly good background for helping my clients get more easily and clearly in touch with their issues and discover the root of their problems, as well as guide them to their own solutions.
You can be rest assured that I have extensive training and experience to practice safely, ethically, professionally and compassionately as both a Counsellor and Hypnotherapist.
My Therapeutic Approach
Therapists differ in their training, orientation and approach. My training is integrative, which means that I work predominantly with a person-centred (working with the here and now) and psychodynamic (working with issues from the past) approaches to counselling. I also work with a solution focused approach and brief therapy using CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), NLP (Neuro-LInguistic Programming) and Coaching (goal setting and achievement).
However, research shows that the most important element in effective therapy is the relationship between therapist and client. Therefore, I offer you a warm, safe, compassionate and non-judgemental environment which allows you to gain trust in me as your therapist and the therapeutic process. I work closely with you offering you my empathy, understanding, and acceptance which in turn create the conditions for personal growth. At times, in the safety of the therapy room, I may also present you with challenging questions so that you can explore, identify and release any emotional ties that may be linked to your past which may be holding you back. I respect your autnomy at all times and work at your own pace. I would never give you advice or lead you where you don’t want to go. You set the agenda and my role is to facilitate the changes that you want to make.
I am an experienced Hypnotherapist and Counsellor specialising in Eating Disorders and Weight Management in Reading, Berkshire. I’ve also trained in a variety of other approaches and I’m qualified as an NLP Master Practitioner (looking at language and how it creates our perception of reality) & EFT Practitioner (working with energy psychology for healing). I offer a holistic and client centered therapy which focuses equally on mind, body, and spirit. As a therapist & practitioner I believe that good health and wellbeing – physical, emotional, and psychological – depends on the mind and body working together in harmony; so I treat not only the physical symptoms but also the underlying emotional causes, which often tend to be out of our conscious awareness.
I have worked as an Eating Disorder Counsellor at the Berkshire NHS Trust Eating Disorder Service at Erleigh Road, Reading, where I’ve had the opportunity to work with patients suffering from Anorexia, Bulimia and Binge Eating Disorder.
Although I specialize in Weight Management for women and work with issues around food, weight & body image, I’m also experienced in working with the people with a wide variety of problems and difficulties including depression, grief, loss and bereavent, self esteem & confidence, anxiety and panic attacks, stress, fears and phobias, habits like smoking, childhood trauma and abuse, sleep problems, public speaking, exam/interview nerves, personal development and general well-being, as well as life management & performance enhancement.
My Diploma in Clinical Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy has been awarded by the Royal Berkshire College of Clinical Hypnosis and the course is accredited by the following major bodies:
- The Association for Professional Hypnosis and Psychotherapy (APHP)
- National Register of Psychotherapists & Counsellors (NRPC)
Just as every client is a unique individual with different set of experiences so are therapists. That’s why I offer you a free consultation, without obligation, for you to get to know me and my approach before you decide whether you feel comfortable and safe to work with me as your therapist.
Continuing Professional Development
I am now committed to my own personal and professional development (CPD), and attend many seminars and workshops throughout the year. This demonstrates my commitment to continuing to learn and develop beyond my formal training, in order to develop my skills further and to keep my knowledge up to date. This also ensures that I continue to work safely, legally and effectively.
- Diploma Therapeutic Counselling – Integrative – CPCAB
- Diploma in Clinical Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy – Royal Berkshire College of Clinical Hypnosis
- Diploma Master Practitioner Eating Disorders & Obesity (Accredited by the British Psychological Society) – National Centre for Eating Disorders
- Certificate in Nutritional Skills for Eating Disorders – National Centre for Eating Disorders
- Certificate Practitioner Skills in Obesity Management – National Centre for Eating Disorders
- Certificate Ericksonian Hypnosis – Think Big Education
- Master Practitioner of Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP)
- Practitioner Diploma in the Art and Science of Neuro Linguistic Programming & Clean Language – NLP Northeast
- EFT Practitioner Certificate (Level 2) – EFT for Eating Disorders & Addictions – Masha Bennet Certified by the AAMET
- Diploma Personal & Professional Coach – The Coaching Academy (Accredited)
- BA(Hons) Degree in English and American Literature – University of Kent at Canterbury, UK
When you are looking for a Hypnotherapist and Counsellor it’s really important that you find someone who is a member of a Professional Body and attends regular supervision sessions. Here are the some of the key professional bodies I am affiliated with:
- British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) – Registered Member
- The Association for Professional Hypnosis & Psychotherapy (APHP)- Accredited Member
- General Hypnotherapy Register (GHR & GHSC) – Registered Hypnotherapist
- National Centre for Eating Disorders (NCfED) – Affiliate Member
- National Council for Hypnotherapy (NCH) – Registered Member
- Association for the Advancement of Meridian Energy Techniques
- Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council – CNHC is the UK voluntary regulator for complementary therapists. CNHC was set up with government support to protect the public by providing a UK voluntary register of complementary therapists. CNHC’s register has been approved as an Accredited Register by the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care.
Professional Code of Conduct
I also strive to work to the Codes of Ethics of the professional organisations to which I belong as a member. These are available to view on the following documents and websites:
BACP – British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
APHP – The Association for Professional Hypnosis and Psychotherapy
GHR – General Hypnotherapy Register
NCH – National Council for Hypnotherapy
AAMET – Assoociation for the Advancement of Meridian Energy Techniques
Quantum Leap Therapy holds a Professional Indemnity & Public Liability Insurance with Holistic Insurance.
What’s the Next Step?
If you wish to have an informal discussion about your current difficulties or to explore how Hypnotherapy and Counselling can help you, then please contact me and I will be more than happy to discuss how I can support you or to answer any questions you might have. Alternatively, you can request an appointment or book your 30 minutes FREE Initial Consultation by clicking here.
To book your FREE consultation or to find out
how Counselling & Hypnotherapy in Reading Berkshire can help you
Please Call 07846 989439
or send me an email and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
I look forward to hearing from you.