Hypnotherapy & Counselling for Fears & Phobias in Reading, Berkshire
What is a Phobia?
A phobia can be described as an inappropriate, intense, irrational and excessive fear of an object, animal, place or situation that cannot be explained. We are born with only two natural fears: fear of loud noises and fear of falling. All other fears, phobias and anxieties are conditioned responses, learned through direct or indirect experiences.
There are 2 main types of phobias:
- Specific Phobia – this is an irrational fear of something specific such as heights, flying, certain animals, foods, water, bridges, dentists, driving, injections, fear enclosed spaces or Claustrophobia (e.g. lifts) or open spaces (e.g. open fields/outdoor spaces), fear of being sick (Emetophobia) etc.
- Social Phobia – this is an intense and irrational fear of social situations where there is an expectation to either perform or give a speech/presentation in front of a crowd of people e.g. fear of public speaking, as well as meeting and talking to new people in a social or work environment.
When an individual suffering from a phobia thinks of, gets anywhere near to, or comes into direct contact with the feared object, place or situation they can immediately feel very anxious and panicked. Many people suffering with a phobic response try everything possible to escape or avoid coming face to face with the feared object or situation. Specific phobias are easier to avoid e.g. flying, getting into lifts, but much harder if they appear to be out of one’s control.
How can Hypnotherapy & Counselling Help?
Hypnotherapy, together with counselling, can help you manage your fears and phobias by first discussing your symptoms, exploring the causes and history of the phobia, and finally setting down your goals for therapy. With hypnotherapy and counselling you can:
- Become less sensitive or desensitised to the trigger or stimulus e.g. flying, heights, water, spiders, dentist…
- Learn to be more relaxed in situations where you are likely to come face-to-face with the old phobic/fearful place or thing
- Identify and address the original source of the fear by going back to the cause of the problem or the fearful event
- Reframing the root cause by giving it a new meaning and gaining a new persepctive.
If you need help with dealing with a phobia or if you would like to experience the type of relaxation session that helps with fear and phobia, then please get in touch. I’ll be more than happy to discuss your individual needs.
What’s the Next Step?
If you wish to have an informal discussion about your current difficulties or to explore how Hypnotherapy and Counselling can help you, then please contact me and I will be more than happy to discuss how I can support you or to answer any questions you might have. Alternatively, you can request an appointment or book your 30 minutes FREE Initial Consultation by clicking here.
To book your FREE consultation or to find out how Counselling and Hypnotherapy in Reading Berkshire can help you,
Please CALL 07846 989439
or send me an email and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
All enquiries are in the strictest confidence with the highest discretion.
I look forward to hearing from you.